Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening

Dud

Established Member

Is anyone else as excited about this game as I am? (I am very excited about it) It got a rave review from IGNorant (9.6) and I am expecting 9.3 from GameSpot. I've been waiting for a difficult over the top action game like this for a while, and I expect this will be the best game in the genre since last years Ninja Gaiden. This seems to be a new trend, that the games that didn't make the Holidays the year before and come out in Quarter 1 are always the years best.

Furthermore, what's interesting is the American version is going to be harder than the Japanese version; The American Normal Mode is the Japanese Hard Mode and so on. What happened to the days when they'd take a random platformer and call it Super Mario Bros. 2 for the American release? Oh well, I'm not complaining; I must not have been around when American gamers surpassed Japanese gamers in skill, which I'm not sure that they did....

I've been interested in this one for awhile.

I still need to beat the first one though. I love the original.

Originally posted by Dud@Mon, 2005-02-28 @ 12:55 AM

I must not have been around when American gamers surpassed Japanese gamers in skill, which I'm not sure that they did....

[post=130645]Quoted post[/post]​

They have been doing that in quite a few conversions for a while. Streets of Rage 3 was almost ruined by a similar increase in difficulty from Bare Knuckle 3.

Originally posted by axelblazeadam@Mon, 2005-02-28 @ 03:04 AM

They have been doing that in quite a few conversions for a while. Streets of Rage 3 was almost ruined by a similar increase in difficulty from Bare Knuckle 3.

[post=130661]Quoted post[/post]​

Hmm, that's new to me too...

I don't see any good reason for doing that to games, the GameSpot review for Devil May Cry 3 is in and their #1 criticism seems to be the difficulty. Supposedly it feels unbalanced the way they throw you into such a hard game right from the start. I'll probably be playing on Easy Mode first.

I prefer a more difficult game, as long as the game is fair.

How difficult is DMC3? Is it like Ninja Gaiden difficult? Everytime I come home I have to start that damn game from the beginning because I really need to hone my skills before progressing....

Originally posted by tsumake+Mon, 2005-02-28 @ 05:45 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tsumake @ Mon, 2005-02-28 @ 05:45 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>How difficult is DMC3? Is it like Ninja Gaiden difficult? Everytime I come home I have to start that damn game from the beginning because I really need to hone my skills before progressing....

[post=130691]Quoted post[/post]​

[/b]

I haven't played it myself, but this excerpt from the IGNorant review sums what I'm expecting pretty well:

<!--QuoteBegin-IGN

Hardcore gamers that think they're the best on the block had better take notice: Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening is going to kick your ass... a lot. I don't care if you've played through Ninja Gaiden's Hurricane Pack before, or if you've somehow overcome the level 10 Orochi in KOF '97, or even if you managed to beat the original Maximo without losing any health -- Devil May Cry 3 is still going to kick your ass. Of course, that doesn't mean that Dante's Awakening is any more difficult than the games I've mentioned above, but to deny the fact that Capcom's stellar sequel is one of the most challenging titles of the last ten years would either make you a robot with superhuman reflexes, or a videogame prodigy not unlike that silent midget kid from The Wizard.

[/quote]

Well i just beat the japanese version about 3 days ago.

Anyways game is great , the diffcutly is quite easy on normal , though few bosses are a pain but has a repetive pattern , if you play the old megaman and was able to learn enemies pattern quick you'll own on this game. As for hard mode it's like normal mode cept there's more enemies and take longer to kill. The boss however looks like i kill them just as quick. Good game if you play it u might like this way more then the first or like this as much.

Penny Arcade did a strip on the game:

20050304l.jpg

My copy of the game is coming tomorrow or Monday, so I'll see for myself how hard this realy is.

Zoel, the Japanese version is easier, but you must be pretty good to not have hard mode give you a tough time. I usually suck at games without practicing for hours.

EDIT: DMC3 is without a doubt going to kick my ass, I just started playing DMC1 again and I can't even beat the hell turd in mission 20--that is so fucking lame, it... it's ridiculous, I don't have anything to say in my defense other than that controls in DMC1 aren't the greatest, it's not easy to avoid thing with the camera and hold-R1 control scheme.

Got the game today, and based on five missions of initial play, I have to say I'm fairly satisfied. The core action of the game is fantastic, but the difficulty is very detremental to the entire experience. The regular enemies (on either difficulty) aren't tough like in Ninja Gaiden, and they seem like they are just there for you to kill, as a result you'll never feel like you're in danger around them. The bosses are a different story; these guys are difficult to the point of being ridiculous, and what's dissapointing is they aren't incredibly deep--the few that I've encountered can be beaten more easily by wailing on the handguns, rather than exploiting their unique weaknesses. Because the bosses are so tough, you can expect to play most missions 2+ times.

Basically what I'm saying is the early stages of the game I'm in go like this:

Slash through mindless drones > Collect Red Orbs > Get your ass kicked by the boss > Repeat

Hopefully the game picks up, I've heard it does anyway. I'll post again when I finish it because it seems like two or three people are interested.

Well today i beat it on Hard mode. I think i'll try Dante Must Die mode a different day. But they said that Hard mode is American's Normal mode. So i'm guessing that they put to much on you to begin with that they can't any better. And if you have trouble on the early boss , you will definetly have more problems later on.

Such as Agni and Rudra or Nevon.

If you having problems on Vergil , use Trickster mode on lv 2 for double dash so his attacks are easier to avoid , everytime he's goes to Devil form he heals really quick and doesn't turn normal until a long time , but if you attack him it he'll turn back much quicker so go kamikaze with him if you have any Devil Energy left.Other then that it's all about your skill.

If you still can't kill him , do what my friend does buy couple Vital Stars L and use all of it till you can beat him.

I dropped down to easy mode right away, because I assumed I suck too much to start on Normal (Japan Hard Mode) straight away. As far as the bosses I fought so far, in my opinion the Cerberus was the hardest, but he was easier when I used the handguns on him instead of the sword like you're supposed to. Agni and Rudra weren't too bad, and Vergil I beat in one try. It seems like this game gets easier as it goes on, which is something I've never seen before...

Here's my final report. I finished it on easy and normal. I'm going to upgrade my evaluation of fairly sattisfied to completely satisfied. This game is an action masterpiece, just with a very steep learning curve. 9.2 out of 10, I recommend to all fans of the genre.

Yeah, I just got this game. and like Ninja Gaiden, it's hard as hell, but once you understand, you can't stop thinking to your self "This is the best game I've ever played" (It's not, but that's the sentiment). Fun as all out. I'm on chapter 3 and I don't really care right now if I can't be Cerebus; switching from Ebony and Ivory to the shotgun and back to Rebellion is shweet....

But, what's up with the lock-on system? Is it supposed to suck that much? I don't even use it that much except to pull off a special move. Is that what the lock-on system is for? Just to get better combos? How do you guys use it? I gots ta know.....

Back